London's Parks and Green Spaces
South Hackney is a district in the London Borough of Hackney situated 4.8 miles (7.7 km) north east of Charing Cross. It is immediately north of Victoria Park and the area centred on Victoria Park Road and Lauriston Road. Sometimes known as Victoria Park Village, particularly by estate agents, to distinguish the residential area from the rest of Hackney. In Tudor times, South Hackney consisted of two small settlements. One around the modern Grove and Lauriston Roads; the other where Grove Street and Well Street meet. There were two moated houses, the one on the north side of Well Street belonging to the Knights Hospitaller in 1416. The house survived into the 18th century, but by then it was in decline and the tenants included chimney sweeps. This is commemorated by the name of the Two Black Boys public house. In Church Crescent, near the church are six almshouses, created by a bequest from William Monger in 1669, and funded by land on Hackney Marshes. This land subsequently came into the control of Sir John Cass. The almshouses were rebuilt in 1849, with funds from Sir John Cass's Foundation. Victoria Park was laid out between 1842–46, the large Victorian villas that characterise this area were built soon after. South Hackney originally had a chapel of ease, but became an independent parish in 1825, with the parish church of St John the Baptist erected in 1848. The area is well served by shops, restaurants and public houses.
swcparks south-hackney Tag your photos and upload them to our Flickr group
These photos are geo-tagged as being in South Hackney