London's Parks and Green Spaces
Valentines Park is, at 52 hectares (130 acres), the largest green space in the London Borough of Redbridge, between Ilford and Gants Hill. It was acquired in various purchases and gifts of land, starting in 1898 and culminating in the 1920s. The Valentines Estate had been in private hands since long before the 1690s, when the present Valentines Mansion was built. In 1899 the Cranbrook Estate, to the west of Valentines, was about to be sold for housing. The Municipal Borough of Ilford had acquired its first section of parkland a year previously and was keen to enlarge its size as land became available. Local officials realised that, unless an area of "relaxation and pleasure" was retained for the growing urban population, all traces of an undeveloped rural Ilford would be lost. County Cricket was first played at Valentine's Park in Ilford in 1922 and a pavilion was completed a year later. The first ever county match with Sunday play was played here, this proved to be a success with 6000 spectators attending. [ citation needed ] Valentines Park has undergone an extensive renovation during 2007–2008 financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund and by the owners, the London Borough of Redbridge. There are a number of Grade II and Grade II* features within the park and part of the formal garden layout of the early 18th century park itself is included in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England at Grade II. Brief ( English Heritage ) listing details for these can be found at Images of England.
swcparks valentines-park Tag your photos and upload them to our Flickr group
These photos are geo-tagged as being in Valentines Park