This walk combines some of the finest elements of the Chiltern Hills, while having very little overlap with other walks in the area. After leaving Wendover in a south easterly direction on the Ridgeway the walk rises into woods, which are rich in Bluebells in springtime. It then passes along fields to get to the picturesque green in The Lee, a conservation area village. From there it continues through woodland and the beautiful Lee Common to a 16th century lunch pub at Swan Bottom. After crossing some more fields, the afternoon section then leads entirely through woods right up to the outskirts of Wendover: it re-joins the Ridgeway for a while and then descends steeply off the escarpment down an ancient Holloway. Only to rise again, on forest tracks with some magnificent panoramic views , until getting to the highest point of the walk in the middle of Wendover Woods. From there the route to Wendover meanders through the woods, passing a wildlife hide and an ancient hill-fort site, before descending steeply to the plains.
The Cock and Rabbit Inn/Graziemille Restaurant, The Lee, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9LZ (01494 837 540). Food served all day Fri-Sat and 12.00-14.30 and 18.00-23.00 Tue-Thu and Sun. Located 7.3 km (4.6 mi) from the start of the walk, this pub cum Italian Restaurant has been under its current management since the mid-80s.
The Old Swan, Swan Lane, Swan Bottom, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9NU (01494 837 239). Open 18.00-21.00 Mon, 12.00-15.00 and 18.00-23.00 Tue-Thu, 12.00-23.00 Fri-Sat and 12.00-19.00 Sun. Food served 12.00-14.30 and 18.45-21.00 Tue-Thu, 12.00-14.30 and 18.30-21.00 Fri-Sat and 12.00-15.00 Sun. Located 10.0 km (6.2 mi) from the start of the walk (4.9 km if taking Shortcut I), The Old Swan is a family run 16th century free house with exposed beams and a roaring log fire. It has been awarded Cask Marque accreditation for its ales, and serves sandwiches as well as a limited but diverse menu of high quality dishes plus a handful of weekly specials at reasonable prices. At weekends it is advisable to book ahead.
- Wendover Woods Café, Wendover Woods, St Leonards Road, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 5NF (01296 620 294). Open 9.00 –17.00 weekdays, 09.00-18.00 weekends.
- The George & Dragon, 4-6 Aylesbury Road, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6JQ (01296 586 152). A traditional pub serving authentic Thai cuisine.
- Crumbs Coffee, Town Court, High Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP226EA (01296 622 468).
- The Red Lion Hotel, 9 High Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6DU, (01296 622 266). A Fuller’s pub/hotel.
- The White Swan, 18 High Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EA, (01296 622 271). A Fuller’s pub.
- Whitewaters Deli Café, 5 Chiltern Court, Back Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EP (01296 623 331). Open 09.00-17.30 Mon-Thu and 09.00-18.00 Fri-Sat.
- Rumsey's of Wendover, The Old Bank, 26 High Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EA, (01296 625 060). Open to 18.00 daily.
- Lady Grey Tearoom, 26 High Street, The Little Barn Courtyard, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6DU, (07519 834 251). Open to 17.00 Tue-Sun.
- Istanbul Meze & Grill, 31 High Street, The Little Barn Courtyard, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6DU, (01296 709 276). Open 12.00-15.00 Mon-Sat and 17.00-23.00 Mon-Sun.
- No. 2 Wine & Cheese Deli, 2 Pound Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EJ, (01296 585 022). Open 10.00-17.00 Sun-Wed and 10.00-23.00 Thu-Sat.
- Tres Corazones, 2 Pound Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EJ, (01296 622 092). Open 17.30-21.00 Tue, 12.00-14.30 and 17.30-21.00 Wed-Fri, 12.00-22.00 Sat and 12.00-15.00 Sun.
- The Shoulder of Mutton, 20 Pound Street, Wendover, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6EJ (01296 623 223). Open all day. Food all day. A red brick, ivy-clad traditional 18th century pub, part of the Chef & Brewer chain.
Great Missenden Ending
- Café Twit, Roald Dahl Museum & Story Centre. 81-83 High Street, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 0AL (01494 892 192). ). Open 10.00–16.00 Tue-Sun. No dogs.
- Origins at the White Lion, 57 High Street, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 OAL (01494 863 696). Open all day Mon-Sat & 12.00-15.30 Sun. Dinner served from 18.00.
- The Cross Keys, 40 High Street, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 OAU (01494 865 373). Open all day every day. Food served 12.00-15.00 and 18.30-21.30 Mon-Thu, 12.00-16.00 and 18.30-21.30 Fri, 12.00-21.30 Sat and 12.00-17.00 Sun. A Fuller’s pub.
- Matilda’s, 30 High Street, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 0AU (01494 890 411).
- The Pantry on Platform 1, Great Missenden Railway Station, Station Approach, Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9AZ (01494 868 699). Open from 05.30 every day.