|OS Map||Explorer Maps 136 & 148|
|Toughness||2 out of 10|
|Features||The walk follows the river Medway in the morning until Teston Bridge, a Grade I listed old stone bridge across the river first mentioned in 1526, before looping back across mainly farm land. Nettlestead Church, built in the 15th century, has unusually large nave windows with exquisite stained glass. The Teston Bridge Country Park is a lovely spot along the Medway for fishing and relaxing which allegedly boasts the highest density of fish along the entire river. Tea Pot Island does not only serve great cakes and tea but also has the largest collection of tea pots in the country. Yalding, originally called Twyford, is a charming village where the rivers Teise and Beult join the Medway. It is, unfortunately, marred by heavy traffic. When walking along Windmill Path you can see almshouses dated 30th Jan 1863. Twyford Bridge between Yalding village and the station is a fine example of a medieval bridge.|
|Options||The walk can be shortened by 2.8km by starting from Wateringbury, one stop beyond Yalding when coming from Tonbridge. Leave the station towards Bow Bridge, but turn immediately left towards Bow Bridge Marina before crossing the bridge. Pick up the instructions at point 7.
The walk can be extended by 8km to Beltring along a particularly pretty stretch of the river Medway optionally including a visit to The Man of Kent at East Peckham, a lovely pub along a trout stream. Beltring station is in the middle of nowhere. There are no amenities nearby. So it is best to time your arrival with a departing train. It takes about 45mins to walk from The Man of Kent to Beltring station.
|Travel||Take the train nearest to 9:30 to Yalding.|
|Lunch||The Tickled Trout in West Farleigh.|
|Tea||Tea Pot Island at the lock between Yalding village and the station. Closes on weekends at 17:00 in the summer and 16:00 in the winter. Other options are:|
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out (not a train station)
Back (not a train station)
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Leave the station via the car park and turn left along the road.
- In 160m turn left off the road along the marina. From here on until Teston Bridge you just follow the river as closely as possible.
- In 80m take the right fork along the marina.
- In 1.8km you have the option to visit Nettlestead Church by turning left uphill across the railway lines. This is a 200m there and back again detour.
- In 530m you come out at another marina with a caravan park on your left. Follow the initially gravel then tarmac lane in between the two.
- In 200m in front of a house painted white follow the "Way Out" sign towards the left.
- In 60m cross a road and continue on the track opposite, past Bow Bridge Marina.
- In 250m take the right fork along the river.
- In 800m follow the footpath sign to the left of the "Private Land" sign.
- In 300m go through a broken kissing gate and continue along the river.
- In 300m go through a double gate. You are now entering Teston Bridge Country Park.
- In 60m pick the right fork, i.e. stay as close to the river as possible.
- In 270m go through a double gate and continue along the river.
- When reaching Teston Lock walk over the bridge onto the platform next to the lock. Then continue following the river.
- In 200m, in front of Teston Bridge, turn left towards the road and then right along the road across the river. The ignored path following the Medway underneath the bridge will reach Maidstone in about 5km.
- On the other side of the bridge turn left off the road onto a footpath.
- In 100m in front of a metal kissing gate turn right and cross the road onto a lane.
- In 230m where the lane turns right go straight through a metal kissing gate.
- In 300m go through a metal kissing gate.
- In 220m turn left towards The Tickled Trout the recommended lunch spot.
- Coming out of the pub turn right along the road and walk past the road junction.
- In 160m where the road turns left, turn right onto a lane.
- In 200m go through a metal kissing gate and follow the line of trees on your left. At the corner of the line of trees keep going straight in the same direction towards a gate in the hedge at the opposite side of the field.
- Once through the hedge walk slightly left towards a gate near the hut on the opposite side of the field.
- In 420m, at a road junction, join the lane going straight ahead.
- In 100m turn left off the lane onto a public footpath along the left edge of a field which is currently used for a raspberry farm.
- In 300m go straight through a line of trees and then across a field towards right hand edge of the green sheds on the opposite side.
- At the houses turn left along a lane.
- In 100m turn right along the road.
- In 120m turn left into Shingle Barn Lane.
- In 120m turn right onto a public footpath opposite a gated entrance.
- In 1.1km turn right onto a lane.
- In 150m turn left onto a public footpath with a fence on your right. Keep the fence on your right hand side and follow it where it turns right.
- In 440m you reach the first houses of Yalding and a residential street.
- In 20m turn left off the road and walk along the left hand side of a house and follow this path as it zig-zags through houses.
- In 100m turn right along the road.
- In 40m turn left onto Windmill Path. On your left are 19th century almshouses.
- In 160m you reach the war memorial in Yalding with the Walnut Tree on you right and the Village Tearooms on your left. Turn left along the main road.
- In 200m turn left up the driveway towards the church.
- In front of the church turn right and at its west side turn right again down towards the road.
- At the road turn left across the bridge over the river Beult.
- On the other side of the bridge turn right with the George on your left.
- In 200m follow the public footpath sign across The Lee, a floodplain of the river Medway.
- In 400m walk towards the road not the underpass.
- At the road turn right across Twyford Bridge.
- On the other side of the bridge turn left towards Teapot Island the recommended tea stop.
- Coming out of Teapot Island return back to the main road and turn left. You can walk along this road towards the station which you reach in 600m. However, a nicer way is to turn left at the bridge with the barrier just past the Boathouse pub across the canal on your left along a tarmaced drive.
- In 170m climb over a style on your right and walk along the fence of the house.
- In 450m at a 4-way junction with an opening ahead turn right.
- In 100m you pass a pond on your right and then climb over a stile to cross the railway lines.
- On the other side of the railway lines turn right along them.
- In 360m take the right fork into bushes and in further 60m at the road turn right towards the station.
Extension to Beltring
- Coming out the Teapot Island turn left along the river.
- In 600m fork right.
- In 700m turn left with the Navigation sign and walk past the foot bridge. Do not cross it.
- In 1.1km cross a road.
- In 700m pass a lock.
- In 100m turn right across a wooden bridge.
- In 450m enter woods on the right and go over wooden bridge.
- In ???m you can turn left directly towards Beltring station picking up the instructions at point 16. If walking towards The Man of Kent continue with the next point.
- In 180m turn right over a bridge across the river Medway
- In 200m at the end of the wooden fence turn left across a wooden bridge and follow the stream on your right,
- In 500m cross a concrete bridge and turn left. You reach The Man of Kent in 100m.
- Coming out of The Man of Kent you retrace your steps back to the river Medway. In detail: turn left across the bridge and then right onto a path.
- In 100m turn right across the concrete bridge and follow the stream on your left.
- In 500m turn left across a wooden bridge and then turn right along the wooden fence.
- In 200m cross the Medway and turn left.
- In 150m turn right away from the river. Coming out into a field walk towards the line of trees at the far side of the field, direction 130°
- In 200m cross a bridge and walk across the field, direction 70°
- ... to be researched...
- In xxxm cross the A228 with care (!) and turn right on the opposite side.
- In 70m turn left into Beltring Road towards the station which you reach in 400m.