Wooded heathland, swimming points, and Parliament Hill
|Start||Hampstead underground station|
|Finish||Hampstead underground station|
|Time||1 hour 45 minutes.|
|Travel||Northern line underground trains run frequently to Hampstead , which is on the boundary of Fare Zone 2 and 3 on the Edgware branch.|
A classic London walk across Hampstead Heath taking in Parliament Hill, the Pools and Kenwood. The grounds of Kenwood House (on the northern boundary of the Heath and managed by English Heritage), are closed at sunset. The rest of the Heath is accessible at all times.
Hampstead Heath is a large ancient north London parkland managed by the City of London Corporation.
The destination pub is The Holly Bush, 22 Holly Mount. NW3 6SG T: 020 7435 2892 Lunch noon - 15:00, to 16:00 (Sat), 17:00 (Sun). Dinner 18:00 - 22:00 (21:00 Sun)
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone. OpenStreetMap (not OS) mapping is used in the PDF for licence reasons.
- From the entrance of Hampstead underground turn left down the High Street.
- After 50 metres, turn left up Flask Walk (initially pedestrian only). Continue for 500 metres along Flask walk and subsequently Well Walk in a north easterly direction to reach the Heath.
- From here an anti-clockwise route around Hampstead Heath is suggested: Via Parliament Hill and to the west of Highgate Ponds, and south of Kenwood House, to then go in a southerly direction.
- Exit the Heath along East Heath Road at the point that it leaves the edge of the Heath, to go up East Heath Road in a westerly direction.
- After 300 metres cross over a main road junction at a set of traffic lights.
- Once over (with a pond on your right-hand side), turn left through a car blocked area for 20 metres to join the top of Hampstead Grove. Veer left down Hampstead Grove for 350 metres, (your direction south), to then join Holly Bush Hill, with a small green on your right-hand side. In 30 metres veer left and after 20 metres turn left up Holly Mount for the Holly Bush pub.
- Route back to Hampstead underground station: Coming out of the Holly Bush pub go straight ahead for 30 metres to then turn left down some steps leading to the main road. Turn right to reach Hampstead underground on your left-hand side after 100 metres.