|Start||Wanstead underground station.|
|Finish||Wanstead underground station.|
|Travel||Wanstead is on the Central line and is in Travelcard Zone 4. Travel time from Oxford Circus: 30 minutes.|
to do. Plenty of maps in Wanstead Park.
The George, 155-159 High Street E11 2RL T: 020 8989 2921. Food served until 22:00.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Coming out of Wanstead station, with the Green on the opposite side of the road, turn left along The Green (road). In 180 metres you cross over Redbridge Lane West to continue along St. Marys Avenue. In 300 metres at a road junction with St. Mary’s Church opposite, turn left to go along Overton Drive, passing by St. Mary’s Church and in a further 100 metres Wanstead Golf Club on your right.
- After 180 metres at a T-junction, turn right along Warren Road. In 100 metres, turn left through an entrance into Wanstead Park. From here it is suggested that you take a clockwise route around the Park, exiting back through this entrance to retrace your steps back to Wanstead station.
- In more detail:
- Continue ahead down the footpath through a wooded area, 80°. In 130 metres at a footpath T-junction, turn left for 30 metres to then join a footpath with the Ornamental Waters on your right, and a golf course (behind fencing) on your left. After 300 metres you pass by an HV pylon off to your left, and after a further 900 metres you go under an HV cable run.
- In 120 metres at a path triangle, turn right with the Ornamental Waters on your right hand side, your direction west, to go back under the HV cable run after 30 metres.
- After 600 metres at a T-junction, (with some green painted utility buildings enclosed by green railed fencing 50 metres ahead), turn right to continue alongside the Ornamental Ponds, 260°. After 100 metres ignore a car wide brick walled footbridge off to your right. After a further 90 metres, you pass by a footpath off to your right (which goes along the right side of Perch Pond), to continue in the same direction with Perch Pond on your right hand side.
- In 370 metres you reach a Park entrance opposite Wanstead Park Avenue.
- Turn right along the sand shingle car wide track between Heronry Pond on your left and Perch Pond on your right. After 100 metres you pass by a Tea Hut on your right hand side. Turn left to go along Heronry Pond. After 250 metres you reach a Park notice board next to a gate, where you turn sharp right, to head back along a broad track towards Keepers Lodge. In 200 metres at a T –junction with the car wide sand shingle track, turn left.
- Where the car wide track swings to the right, continue ahead, on a narrow footpath, 340°. After 80 metres at a T-junction with a car wide shingle track, turn left along it. In 250 metres by a black metal car-blocking gate on your right, fork right off the main track (which leads to a Park exit), along a narrow footpath through the wood, north. [!] In 130 metres, turn left along an easily missed footpath, 310°, for 70 metres to reach the entrance (where you came in) onto Warren Avenue, to then retrace your steps back to Wanstead underground.
- [Turn right. In 100 metres, turn left up Overton Drive. After 280 metres at a junction with St. Marys Church on your left, turn right along St Marys Avenue, to join The Green (road) after 300 metres, to then reach Wanstead underground after a further 180 metres.]