Fan Dance (Brecon Beacons endurance walk) walk

SAS fitness exercise. Storey Arms over Pen y Fan to Torpantau, and back again, against the clock, with a full pack

Hiking Weather

10 Day Forecast for Storey Arms

Page loading ...

Very cold and windy with plenty of snow showers.


Very cold and windy. Some sunny breaks but plenty of snow showers feeding in the from the east. The snow will be heavy at times, especially towards the north, with the strongest winds to the west of high ground. Maximum Temperature 4C.


Further snow showers overnight with the potential for some more persistent snow to push up from the south by dawn. Staying windy. Minimum Temperature -6C.


The spell of more persistent snow will gradually clear westwards through the day, and will turn more to rain especially near the coasts. It will still be cold and windy. Maximum Temperature 2C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Mostly dry through Monday and Tuesday though thawing snow will bring the risk of ice as temperatures only slowly recover. Perhaps some rain in the north by Wednesday.

Day 6 to 15

After a clear frosty start across southern areas on Thursday, a band of cloud and rain will spread across all parts, followed by blustery showers, these heaviest in the northwest. Showers will die out on Friday as thicker cloud and rain spreads in from the west, becoming windy. While daytime temperatures will recover to around normal, for a time we may still see overnight frosts. By the weekend it will turn unsettled and rather cold across most parts with some prolonged outbreaks of rain, particularly in western areas. Low pressure is expected to be close to the UK by the start of Easter week, with a mixture of showers, more prolonged spells of rain and some snow likely in the north.

Day 16 to 30

There is significant uncertainty in the forecast throughout this period, but a blocked or slowly changing weather pattern is probable. There will most likely be a balance between Atlantic frontal systems affecting the south and west at times with colder air associated with high pressure out to the northeast. Mixed conditions are likely with wetter than average conditions expected across the south, while staying drier and perhaps colder to the north. Further snow is possible, especially in the north where it will also be windy at times. Temperatures will likely be below average with further night frosts, and any milder interludes will probably be only brief.

Met Office : WL : 2018-03-17T06:07:43

Issued: 0600 on 2018-03-17 for Brecon Beacons


Spells of snow clearing to bright spells and scattered snow showers this afternoon. Very cold and very windy.

Summary Cloudy this morning with spells of snow, mainly light to moderate but with a chance of some heavier snow at times, leading to a medium risk of blizzard conditions. Drifting of fresh lying snow may create some deep drifts in places. This afternoon brighter conditions will arrive, along with isolated light snow showers, these mostly across eastern areas. Broken cloud this evening with a few mainly light snow showers, these again mainly across eastern areas.
Chance of Cloud free tops Extensive cloud down to 400m this morning, improving to around 70% by early afternoon as broken cloud generally down to 600m develops. However, in longer spells of snow the cloud base will lower to 400 metres at times, especially this evening when the chance of cloud free tops decreases to 30%.
Ground conditions
Visibility Poor or very poor in snow showers or longer spells of snow, with a medium risk of whiteout conditions at times. Outside of the snow showers very good or excellent.
Blizzards: Medium likelihood
Heavy Snow: Medium likelihood
Storm Force Winds: Low likelihood
Gales: High likelihood
Severe Chill Effect: High likelihood
Poor Visibility: Medium likelihood
060708 091011 121314 151617 181920 212223
Weather Heavy snow Light snow Light snow Light snow showers Light snow showers (night) Light snow showers (night)
Rain 70% 70% 40% 20% 20% 40%
Temp (tops) -1 -4 -4 -5 -5 -7
Wind (tops) 25 31 32 32 28 27
Freezing Level 300m 0m 0m 0m 0m 0m
Day 1

Spells of snow overnight and into Sunday morning, sometimes heavy and leading to blizzard conditions. Becoming brighter through the afternoon with showers becoming lighter and much less frequent. Then generally cloudy through the evening with occasional light snow showers, especially across eastern areas.

Ice Freezing at all levels
Visibility Poor or very poor through the morning with occasional whiteout conditions. Improving through the afternoon to generally very good, but occasionally decreasing moderate with any snow showers.
Wind East to northeasterly winds, 35 mph gust 50 mph, but 45 mph gust 60-70 mph over summits and ridges at times.
Temp Minus 7 Celsius (at high level)
Day 2

Mostly dry with bright spells and isolated snow showers, but very cold and windy with easterly gales becoming northeasterly. Freezing at all heights.

Day 3

A few snow showers, but generally dry and bright with sunny spells. Still cold, but less so than previous days with winds easing fresh to strong and turning northerly, then northwesterly later and freezing level lifting to around 500m

Day 4

A dry, bright start with moderate northwesterly winds, but becoming cloudy through the day though, with perhaps some rain and summit snow in the afternoon, with winds turning westerly and increase strong to gale force over the tops later. Freezing level rising to 800m.

Data: Met Office