SDC10836

Corn Du, Pen y Fan. the shortcut path from the col runs left-right

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

banner, swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

SDC10845

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

SDC10847

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

SDC10848

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

SDC10849

The way to Waun Rydd

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

SDC10853

walkicon

08-Apr-11 • Andrew Murphy

swcwalk278, swcwalks, walkicon

Llyn Cwm Llwch from Escarpment on way up to Corn Du

SWC Walk 278 Breacon Beacons Horseshoe - Bannau Brycheiniog (Ascent from Storey Arms Car Park)

29-Jul-16 • thomasgrabow on Flickr

swcwalks swcwalk278 walkicon

Brecon Beacons (Pen y Fan) Horseshoe from Neuadd Reservoir walk

A classic horseshoe walk of the Brecon Beacons (Pen y Fan, Corn Du, Fan y Big) around a glacial valley, with an extension to Waun Rydd

Hiking Weather

10 Day Forecast for Neuadd Reservoir

Loading...

Turning more showery.

This Evening and Tonight:

It will remain dry for many this evening across Wales with some clear spells overnight. A band of showers will arrive from the west towards dawn. It will remain rather breezy but mild. Minimum Temperature 6C.

Monday:

Monday will bring plenty of sunny spells and a scattering of showers, mainly in the morning. Clear spells overnight will allow a touch of frost in the east. Maximum Temperature 11C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

After a chilly start it will be dry and bright. It will remain bright and breezy through Wednesday and Thursday with some patchy rain over hills at times. Very mild.

Day 6 to 15

Friday is likely to be mild but breezy across the UK with many places dry and sunny. The southeast may see some early mist and fog, but also the best of the sunshine and very mild in places. The far northwest could see some rain and stronger winds; generally cloudier, more changeable here. This northwest-southeast split in conditions is likely to be maintained through the weekend and into next week. Any spells of rain from the northwest will tend to weaken as it moves southeast, bringing cloudier spells. Dry, settled conditions are likely to dominate through the end of February away from the far northwest; overnight frosts are possible. By early March we are more likely to see Atlantic fronts crossing the UK bringing stronger winds and rain at times.

Day 16 to 30

By early March there are signals for Atlantic fronts crossing the UK, bringing a mixture of wet and windy weather to many parts, but also intermittent drier spells. Snow remains possible over higher ground in the north. There are weaker signals for snow to lower levels elsewhere should a cold easterly develop; this remains a small possibility. However, milder conditions remain more likely, although occasional overnight frosts remain possible.

Met Office : WL : 2019-02-17T14:37:08

Issued: 0600 on 2019-02-17 for Brecon Beacons

Today

Dry, bright start, but cloud will thicken in the morning with occasional rain or drizzle, but clearing in the afternoon to leave bright or sunny spells and a few showers.

Summary A dry and bright start in places with patchy mist or fog. Cloud will increase through the morning to bring outbreaks of rain. Rain clearing to a few showers in the afternoon with bright or sunny spells developing. Some clear spells in the evening but with scattered showers.
Chance of Cloud free tops 20% at first with patchy cloud covering the tops. An improving chance on Sunday morning to 60%, but chances reduce to 20% towards midday as cloud layers lower to 500m with patches below. Chance improving again to 60% in the afternoon as rain clears, leaving occasionally broken cloud above 600m.
Ground conditions
Visibility Mainly good, but misty beneath cloud in the morning and poor at times in rain. Very poor in fog on peaks.
Gales: Medium Likelihood
Severe Chill Effect: Medium Likelihood
Poor Visibility: Medium Likelihood
060708 091011 121314 151617 181920 212223
Weather Fog Fog Drizzle Sunny intervals Partly cloudy (night) Partly cloudy (night)
Rain 20% 20% 40% 20% 20% 20%
Temp (tops) 4 5 6 7 5 5
Wind (tops) 28 29 27 26 24 26
Freezing Level 1700m 1800m 1300m 1200m 1300m 1200m
Day 1

Bright spells, but often cloudy with showers, these locally heavy in the afternoon, possibly wintry on peaks. Then becoming mainly dry with clear periods through the evening.

Ice Just above the summits around 1000 m
Visibility Good occasionally poor in showers.
Wind Southwesterly 30-35 gusts 45mph, but westerly 25 gusts 35mph later.
Temp Plus 4 Celsius (at high level)
Day 2

Mainly dry with some sunshine in the morning, but cloudier in the afternoon and evening with perhaps a little drizzle at times. Moderate or fresh southwest winds. Freezing level close to tops at first, rising later.

Day 3

Mainly dry and sometimes bright, but cloudier with perhaps a little rain on southwest facing slopes at times. Strong southwest winds with the freezing level above summits.

Day 4

Generally cloudy with patchy rain or drizzle. Strong southwest winds with the freezing level above the peaks.

Data: Met Office