Knepp Castle The castle was originally a motte and bailey castle built in the 12th century but rebuilt in stone by King John in 1214 and had a deer park still existant in 1549. Most of the old castle was pulled down in 1762 to make way for a turnpike road (now the A24) and what remains can be seen on the route to/from the Knepp Castle bus stop. The current castle was built in Gothic Revival style and only completed in 1812.
Knepp Rewilding Project Started in 2001 in 3,500 acres of former arable and dairy farmland has been naturally transformed with free-roaming herds of Old English Longhorn cattle, Tamworth pigs, Exmoor ponies and Fallow and Roe deer. It has also become a stronghold for several other rare species: Purple Emperor butterflies (July-August), Turtle Doves (May-August) and Nightingales. About 6 km of the walk is within the re-wilding area. See www.knepp.co.uk
Shipley Windmill The King's Mill or Vincent's Mill is a smock mill built in 1879 and worked commercially until 1926. It was owned by the writer Hilaire Belloc from 1906 until his death in 1953. Following restoration the mill was opened to the public in 1958 and later leased by the Shipley Windmill Charitable Trust but closed in 2009 when the owners would not renew the lease.
St Mary the Virgin, Shipley This large church was built by the Knights Templar in the 12th Century.
Barnhouse Farm A farmhouse, timber-framed with red-brick herringbone dating to 17th century and grade 2* listed on a farm known to exist in 1358.
Blue Idol House Originally a farmhouse built around 1580, the Quaker meeting house remains virtually unchanged from 1600 although various extensions have been added and is grade two listed. A blue plaque commemorates William Penn who founded this Quaker Meeting House and the City of Philadelphia, giving his name to Pennsylvania. Many local Quakers sailed with him to America in 1691. It is only open to the public on Fridays from March to November 10-4.