A choice of not one, not two, but three walks, exploring Romney Marsh. With a bit of luck you might hear the not-so-dulcet tones of the area's "laughing" frogs - an established colony of European invaders.
- The shortest version, suitable for softies, is the Appledore Circular. Length 13¾ km (8.5 miles), difficulty 2/10. Get off and on the train at Appledore. This takes a more direct route to the lunch pub in Warehorne.
- Walk-hardened regulars can do the main walk, with its rating of 3/10, length 18¼ km (11.3 miles), taking them through Ham St Woods and along the (inland) Saxon Shore Way. They get off the train at Ham St, and get back on again at Appledore.
- Superhumans and god-like beings could extend the main walk even further, starting and finishing at Ham Street. Length 23½ km (14.6 miles), difficulty 4/10.
- the 10:08 Hi-Speed Margate train from St Pancras (Stratford International 10:15), changing at Ashford International for the Hastings train (arr. 10:46 dep. 11:21) arriving Ham Street at 11:27 and Appledore at 11:33, (Overall, this route is quicker, particularly returning, but, outbound, there's a long wait at Ashford,)
- or, the slower, cheaper, 9:42 Ashford International train from Victoria, changing at Ashford onto the same Hastings train (arr. 11.02, dep. 11:21).
Get a return to Appledore.
Lunch The lunchtime stop is the Woolpack Inn (01233-732900) in Warehorne. This attractive pub is open all day and serves excellent home cooked food made from local ingredients. (Hopefully not mud pies!) It can get busy at weekends so good idea to phone. The World's Wonder, mentioned as an alternative appears to have closed.
Tea As well as the Black Lion (01233-758206), Appledore offers “the quintessential English tea time experience” at the delightfully-named Miss Mollett's High Class Tea Room (01233-758555), open to 5pm. You'll need to allow at least half an hour to reach Appledore Station, 2¼ km away.
If you finish in Ham Street, you've got the Duke's Head pub (01233-732210).
Directions here. Click option (M) for the main walk, (a) for the short walk, (b) for the long (or keep all options open by not clicking nothing).