Macclesfield Circular via Teggs Nose and Kerridge Hill walk
Tegg’s Nose Country Park, Macclesfield Forest, the Dean Valley, Lamaload Reservoir, Kerridge Ridge with its picturesque folly, the White Nancy
24.7 km (15.4 mi). Cumulative ascent/descent: 866m. For a shorter or longer walk, see below Walk options.
8 out of 10 Time: 6 ¾ hours walking time.
Macclesfield Station, map reference SJ 919 736, is 237 km northwest of Charing Cross, 133m above sea level and in Cheshire East. It is on the Stafford to Manchester branch line off the West Coast Main Line from London Euston (hourly service). Travel time from London is from 101 minutes Mon-Sat (but 2 ¼ hours on Sun).
Saturday Walkers’ Club: The walk is doable as a daywalk from London with a train no later than 09.20 hours.
OS Landranger Map: 118 (Stoke-on-Trent and Macclesfield) and 119 (Buxton & Matlock)
This is a varied route out of the historic Silk Town of Macclesfield through the Tegg’s Nose Country Park and the Macclesfield Forest, across lonely pastures with views into the Dean Valley and past the Lamaload Reservoir then back along the 2 km long Kerridge Ridge with its picturesque folly, the White Nancy.
You climb steeply out of town along residential roads to quickly emerge amongst pastures and rolling hills and ascend further to Tegg’s Nose, a formerly quarried hill, with its handful of fine viewpoints into the surrounding valleys, from where you descend through the valley of the Walker Barn stream and rise again through Macclesfield Forest to the isolated Forest Chapel. From there, cross undulating pastures with views to the stark high moors separating Dark Peak and White Peak and to Cheshire’s highest tops, Shutlingsloe and Shining Tor, eventually descending towards the remote Lamaload Reservoir in the Dean Valley.
The first 9.2 km of the walk to Forest Chapel (and a full 15.4 km – all the way to Shining Tor – on the Long Walk) are identical with the sister walk Macclesfield to Buxton.
Bus Line 58 (Macclesfield – Buxton via Cat & Fiddle), with an hourly service Monday-Saturday and five buses on Sundays and Bank Holidays, offers various stops close to the route toeither shorten the walk by cutting out a stretch at the start or for starting or finishing the Long Walk by The Cat & Fiddle pub/distillery (about half-way). See the route map for the location of the stops.
Bus Line 60 (Hayfield – Macclesfield) enables an earlier finish from Rainow, Robin Hood PH (15.8 km) or Kerridge-end (Bus Stop Rainow/Calrofold Lane, 20.6 km). As of 07/2021, the bus runs hourly in the afternoon Mon-Sat, with the last one at 18.32 Mon-Fri and 17.35 Sat at Robin Hood PH and 2 mins later at Calrofold Lane.
Tegg’s Nose Tea Room Tegg’s Nose Country Park, Buxton Old Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 0AP (07955 532 703). The Tea Room is located 5.8 km (3.6 mi) into the walk. Open Wed-Sun 09.00-17.00.
The Forest Distillery Chambers Farm, Bottom-of-the-Oven, Macclesfield Forest, near Wildboarclough, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK1 0AR (01260 253 245). The distillery is located 530m off route, 9.8 km (6.1 mi) into the main walk and 11.3 km (7.0 mi) into the Long Walk. Bar open most afternoons.
The Robin Hood Details as above. The Robin Hood is located 100m off route, 9.1 km (5.7 mi) from the end of main and long walk options.
Macclesfield is a market town in Cheshire East on the edge of the Cheshire Plain with about 50,000 population. It lies on the River Bollin, with Macclesfield Forest to its east, and is around 26 km south of Manchester.
The medieval town grew up on the hilltop around what is now St Michael's Church. It had a silk-button industry from at least the middle of the 17th century, and became a major silk-manufacturing centre from the mid-18th century, for a while being the world's biggest producer of finished silk, with 71 silk mills operating in 1832. To this day, "Silk Town" is Macclesfield’s nickname.
The town is also the original home of Hovis bread makers, produced in Publicity Works Mill on the Macclesfield canal. Hovis derives from the Latin "homo-vitalis" (strength for man) as a way of providing cheap nutritious food for mill workers and was a very dry and dense wholemeal loaf very different from the modern version.
No proof exists that Macclesfield was ever a walled town, and the various streets with the suffix ‘gate’ in the name are believed to be derived from 'gata', Scandinavian for road, which became gate in Middle English.
During the Civil War, in 1642 the town was occupied for the King by Sir Thomas Aston. And in the Jacobite Rising of 1745, Charles Stuart and his army marched through Macclesfield as they attempted to reach London.
Macclesfield is said to be the only mill town to have escaped bombing in World War II.
A person from Macclesfield is sometimes referred to as a "Maxonian"; these include Blues Musician John Mayall and Ian Curtis and Stephen Morris of Joy Division.
Since 1997, Macclesfield has hosted the annual British Lawnmower Race, held in December.
Bollin Brook/River Bollin
The River Bollin is a 49 km (30 mi) major tributary of the River Mersey. The Bollin Brook springs on the hills surrounding Macclesfield Forest on the western edge of the Peak District, and it feeds a string of reservoirs that supply water to the town. Downriver from the reservoirs it is called River Bollin.
Further along its course it forms the boundary between Cheshire and Greater Manchester. It is culverted under the southern runway of Manchester Airport and joins the Manchester Ship Canal east of Warrington.
Tegg’s Nose/Tegg’s Nose Country Park
Tegg's Nose is a hill east of Macclesfield on the western edge of the Peak District, although outside the national park. It has a short ridge with three viewpoints and a high point of 380m. Originally called "Tegge's Naze", "Tegge" might have been the name of an early Norse settler or might refer to a sheep ("teg"), while "nose" probably refers to the southern promontory.
The hill was quarried for millstone grit from the 16th century until 1955. There were two quarries, one by the northern viewpoint producing a blue stone, and the other near the summit producing Tegg's Nose Pink. The top of the hill is now dominated by the mounds of quarry spoil heaps, mostly overgrown by heather and bilberry.
There is also evidence of a WWII bomb crater at the bottom of Tegg's Nose, visible from the summit.
The Bottoms and Tegg’s Nose reservoirs were constructed in 1850 and 1871 respectively, to regulate the flow of the River Bollin feeding the textile mills of Macclesfield and Langley.
Jodrell Bank Observatory
The Jodrell Bank Observatory – originally the Jodrell Bank Experimental Station and from 1966 to 1999 the Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories – hosts a number of radio telescopes, and is part of the Centre for Astrophysics at the University of Manchester. The observatory was established in 1945 by Bernard Lovell, a radio astronomer, to investigate cosmic rays after his work on radar during WWII. It has since played an important role in the research of meteoroids, quasars, pulsars, masers and gravitational lenses, and was heavily involved with the tracking of space probes at the start of the Space Age.
The main telescope at the observatory is the Lovell Telescope with a diameter of 76m (the third largest steerable radio telescope in the world). There are three other active telescopes at the observatory: Mark II, and radio telescopes of 13m and 7m diameter.
On 7 July 2019, the observatory became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Gritstone Trail (or Cheshire Gritstone Trail, as there are other, less well established, routes in the Peak District under the same moniker) is a 56 km (35 mi) waymarked linear long-distance footpath which follows the most westerly hills of the Peak District from Disley Station via Macclesfield and Congleton to Kidsgrove Station. Managed by Cheshire East (although partly in Staffordshire), the trail involves 1,800m of ascent and is mainly outside the National Park. Most through-walkers take 3 days (stopping at Macclesfield and Congleton) to complete the trail, but an unofficial extension from Kidsgrove to the mainline railway station at Stoke-on-Trent, The Kidsgrove to Stoke Ridgeway, is described in a free ebook.
Peak District Boundary Walk
Created by the Friends of the Peak District, the Peak District Boundary Walk is a 305 km (190 mi) waymarked circular long-distance footpath which broadly follows the boundary of the National Park along existing footpaths, tracks, quiet lanes, former railway lines and a canal towpath. A guidebook and an extensive website help in breaking the journey into stages. https://www.friendsofthepeak.org.uk/boundary-walk/
The Peak District (National Park)
The Peak District is an upland area at the southernmost end of the Pennines.
The Peak District National Park is one of the UK’s most popular, and is located within the boundaries of five counties (Derbys., Ches., Staffs., Yorks. and Greater Manchester). Founded in 1951, it was the first national Park in England. The Park spans an area of around 1,440 km2 (550 mi2) and – despite its name – its terrain consists mainly of rolling hills, farmland, moorland and some gritstone escarpments (the "edges"). It is however significantly higher than much of the terrain in the surrounding area.
The Peak District is formed almost exclusively from sedimentary rocks dating from the Carboniferous period. They comprise the Carboniferous Limestone, the overlying Gritstone and finally the Coal Measures, though the latter occur only on the extreme margins of the area. In addition, there are infrequent outcrops of igneous rocks including lavas, tuffs and volcanic vent agglomerates.
The northern Dark Peak (whose geology is gritstone) is one of the most famous landmarks in the Peak District National Park, known for its exposed and isolated tracts of moorland, as well as its expansive rolling plateau which is covered by cotton grass bogs and heather moorlands. The soil of the area is composed of moorland peat which provides the perfect environment for the plant life in the area. The areas to the flanks of the high moorland host numerous copses which are composed of Oak and Birch.
The southern White Peak (whose geology is mainly limestone) is another distinctive area within the park due to its gently sloping Limestone plateau, crisscrossed by the Limestone Dales. The Dales provide the areas’ drainage and vary in steepness throughout the area.
Macclesfield Forest is the last substantial remnant of the Royal Forest of Macclesfield, a once-extensive ancient hunting reserve on the western edge of the Peak District, although it is nowadays predominantly conifer plantation managed for timber. The hills of Tegg's Nose and Shutlingsloe stand to the north west and south east, respectively; the moorland of High Moor lies to the south and the Goyt Valley lies to the east.
The area ranges in elevation from around 225m to 475m and includes two hills itself: Toot Hill in the east and Nessit Hill in the south. Two reservoirs, fed by the Bollin Brook, supply water to Macclesfield: Ridgegate Reservoir was constructed in the late 19th century, with Trentabank Reservoir following in the 1920s. The latter contains a large heronry.
Lamaload Reservoir is a reservoir near Rainow, Cheshire, fed by the River Dean and serving Rainow, Bollington and Macclesfield. Built between 1958 and 1964, Lamaload was the first concrete reservoir in England.
Dean River Valley/River Dean
The Dean rises in Longclough on the flanks of Shining Tor on the western edge of the Peak District, feeds the Lamaload Reservoir and joins the River Bollin at Wilmslow. The Dean and some of its tributaries supported many early watermills and the area is recognised as one of the earliest developments in the English Industrial revolution on the western side of the Pennines.
Kerridge Hill/Kerridge Ridge/White Nancy
Kerridge Hill (also called Kerridge Ridge) is a hill near the hamlet of Kerridge on the outskirts of Bollington. The summit is 313 metres above sea level. The River Dean runs along the eastern foot of the hill.
White Nancy is a prominent landmark towards the north end of the ridge. The white-washed, sugarloaf-shaped folly was erected in 1817 for John Gaskell Jr. of North End Farm, as a monument to the Duke of Wellington's victory at the Battle of Waterloo. The structure was built of rendered sandstone rubble and its entrance is now blocked, but inside is a room with a circular stone table surrounded by a curved stone bench.
White Nancy is a protected Grade II listed building.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out (not a train station)
Back (not a train station)
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline (bus times): 0871 200 22 33 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
Aug-21 Thomas G
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
Full directions for this walk are in a PDF file (link above) which you can print, or download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
This is just the introduction. This walk's detailed directions are in a PDF available from wwww.walkingclub.org.uk