|OS Map||Explorer Map 162|
|Toughness||1 out of 10|
|Features||This is an easy and pleasant walk through woodlands nestled in the middle of London's South-Eastern suburbs. Petts Wood was saved by locals from developers in the early part of the 20th century while Scadbury Park has been in private ownership for centuries until it was bought by Bromley Council in 1983. Bromley Council declared it a Nature Reserve and opened it to the public. In Petts Wood there is a memorial to William Willett who built many houses in South-East London and campaigned for the introduction of Daylight Savings Time. Scadbury Park was for some time owned by the Walsingham family who had close relationships with Tudor monarchs including Elizabeth I. The ruins of their moated manor house can still be seen.|
|Travel||Take the train nearest to 10:00 from London Charing Cross or London Victoria to Petts Wood. Petts Wood is in Zone 5 and Osyter Cards can be used.|
|Lunch||The Bull's Head in Chislehurst (02084671727)|
|Tea||Various cafes, tea rooms and pubs in Petts Wood.|
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out: (not a train station)
Back: (not a train station)
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Walk up onto the railway bridge, turn right and exit the station towards the East.
- Follow the row of shops on your left hand side.
- Turn left into Fairway.
- Cross Petts Wood Road.
- In 100m turn right into Towncourt Crescent.
- In 600m at a T-junction turn left into Hazelmere Road.
- In 50m turn right onto a public footpath.
- Walk underneath the railway lines and take the first path on your right when entering the woods.
- Ignore the first path to the left but in 100m after a path joined from the left take the left fork.
- In 120m fork left.
- In 150m at a 4-way junction turn right.
- In 130m at a 4-way junction turn left.
- In 110m at a 4-way junction go straight and pass a bench.
- In 150m at a 4-way junction go straight.
- In 30m take the right fork.
- In 40m at a T junction turn left.
- In 100m turn left up onto a mound. Continue on this path ignoring all cross paths until in 240m you turn left.
- In 180m ignore a right fork and in another 100m just when you reach the opening with the William Willett memorial sundial turn right, cross a 4-way junction and follow that path ignoring all turnoffs.
- In 190m at a T-junction turn right.
- In 260m cross the St Paul's Cray Road with care.
- After crossing the road take the first path on your right and immediately cross another path. If you see a yellow Bromley Ranger Service marker you are on the right track.
- In 240m turn left and pick the path between a concrete pillar and a wooden post in the path.
- In 30m turn left into Scadbury Park through wooden barriers.
- In 40m turn slightly right joining a wide track.
- In 850m turn left between wooden fences to the ruins of the 15th century moated manor house.
- After the view of the manor house at the board turn right to rejoin the main path.
- In 50m take the left fork.
- In 120m turn left and walk through an avenue of trees. Follow the path for 800m as it turns left and up a hill towards a house. Pass the house and cross a lane through a metal kissing gate.
- In 450m you come to a car park. Follow the Acorn Trail sign.
- In 750m cross a lane.
- In 80m turn sharp right.
- In 100m at a T junction turn right.
- In 60m cross a lane.
- In 250m take the path in the middle towards a wooden barrier on the other side of a lane.
- In 400m you reach the Bull's Head in Chislehurst the recommended lunch pub. St Nicholas Church 100m behind the Bull's Head along Church Road is worth a visit.
- Coming out of the pub return the way you came for 500m crossing two tarmac lanes. Then fork right.
- In 100m turn right and cross the road. In further 50m take the right fork.
- In 140m cross a path.
- In 150m where a small path crosses turn right into the woods.
- In 50m at a T-junction turn left.
- In 80m cross a path and 10m further on turn right downhill with a field on your left.
- In 100m turn left in between fences. Follow this path for 700m.
- At a T-junction with a lane turn left.
- In 50m turn right through a metal barrier.
- In 300m take the right fork with a field on your right.
- In 350m cross a stream and turn left through a metal barrier.
- In 500m at a T-junction turn right.
- In 400m cross the railway lines over a bridge.
- In 250m cross Little Thrift Road.
- In 350m after crossing another railway bridge turn left.
- In 250m turn left out of the car park.
- In 80m turn left into Crest View Drive. You reach the station on your left in 350m.