|Start||Perivale underground station|
|Finish||Perivale underground station|
|Time||1 hour 15 minutes.|
|Travel||Central line underground trains run frequently to Perivale, which is in Travelcard Zone 4. Allow at least 30 minutes if travelling from central London|
To be written.
Horsenden Hill and its surrounding fields bordering the Grand Union Canal, makes for a delightful oasis of greenery, amidst a suburban landscape.
The destination pub is The Ballot Box, Horsenden Lane, UB6 7QL T: 020 8902 2825 - serves food until 22:00.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Coming out of Perivale station turn right (under a railway bridge) along Horsenden Lane. In 600 metres, and 30 metres before the bridge over The Grand Union Canal, fork right along a car wide tarmac path for 20 metres to reach the canal. Turn left (sign-posted Capital Ring), to go under the road bridge to follow the footpath in a westerly direction along the canal. After 800 metres, cross over the canal footbridge.
- Coming off the footbridge, turn left along a sand shingle track (with playing fields off to your left). In 75 metres turn right through a gap in the hedgerow, to go over a wooden plank footbridge into the next field. Veer left across this field, aiming for a gap in the wooded boundary on its far side, your direction 110º. After 150 metres go through a gap (crossing a plank footbridge over a ditch stream), into the next field, and veer right aiming for the far corner of the field, your direction 80º.
- In 230 metres at the right-hand corner of the field, cross into the next field to go along its left-hand side bordered by trees with Horsenden Lane further beyond, (with the occasional sound of traffic from Horsenden Lane). In 180 metres at the left-hand corner of the field follow a path for 20 metres out to Horsenden Lane. Cross over and turn right along a tarmac path running parallel to Horsenden Lane.
- In 140 metres at a major path junction in a clearing, turn sharp left up a path (Capital Ring) leading to some steps to go up Horsenden Hill, your initial direction north. (There are several paths leading to the top of the hill.) After 400 metres you reach the top of Horsenden Hill. (From here prominent landmarks are: Wembley Stadium (3.5km distance, 75º) and Northwick Park Hospital (3km distance, north).
- Having explored Horsenden Hill, follow the northerly path down Horsenden Hill. (Ignore a westerly path leading down some steps off to your left, with the Royal Mail Distribution Centre in the distance.) In 150 metres you reach a small car park. Cross over to go through a wooded boundary into a field, to veer left down across it. After 120 metres on the far side of the field go through a wooded area to reach the Ballot Box pub on Horsenden Lane.
- Route back to Perivale station: Coming out of the Ballot Box, turn left. After 50 metres follow a tarmac footpath running parallel to Horsenden Lane. After 500 metres you join the section of the path walked earlier. In a further 150 metres, fork right through a gate to join the pavement alongside Horsenden Lane, to cross the road bridge over the Grand Union Canal. In a further 600 metres you reach Perivale station.