|Start and Finish||Mitcham Junction|
|Time||1 hour 30 minutes.|
|Travel||Mitcham Junction (Zone 4) has trains from Victoria and is also in the Wimbledon - East Croydon tram line. Park anywhere around the common, CPZ haven't made it this far yet.|
Mitcham Common is in medium sized open space (1 mile by 1 mile) in south London. It is a bit run down and unloved. Good for a stroll if you live nearby, but not worth a long journey. It is bisected by several roads, some busy, and much of it is taken up by a golf course. However, there are long term plans to link it with Beddington Park via a former Sewage works turned weltands nature reserve.
There are noticeboards/maps at the entrance to each region of the common, but take care crossing some of the roads between them! Don't follow this walk religiously - take time to explore.
Beddington Farmlands nature reserve (no public access - except birdwatchers)
|Eat||2 pubs on the common, and a carvery in a former stately house nearby.|
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out: (not a train station)
Back: (not a train station)
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone. OpenStreetMap (not OS) mapping is used in the PDF for licence reasons.
- Exit the train station via the tram platform exit, walk to the main road and turn left.
- After 20m turn left again into the woods. Follow the same path for 500m with a railway line visible to your left.
- Cross the railway bridge, and continue for 300m with the golf course on the left.
- At the tram track, follow it to the right untl you reach Beddington Lane station.
- Pass the station, at the road, cross the tracks then cross the main road. (Brookmead Road is now on your right)
- Walk into the common towards the low hill. From the summit carry on towards the Petrol Station (400m total)
- Cross the A236, and enter the next part of the common.
- Head towards the summit of the low hill then turn left (parrallel to the busy road) 300m
- Cross (now closed) Watneys Road, and continue in the same direction for 400m
- Pass a large low rise building on your right
- Cross Windmill Road (or turn left for a pub)
- Continue in the same direction along a low hill for 500m until you reach a pond.
- Bear Left until you reach the corned of the common. There is a roundabout with a pub (the Ravensbury Arms).
- Cross the road, walk past the pub and the small building, and head southfor 500m (with the golf course on your left) to reach the train station