|Start||Liverpool Street Mainline Station, Liverpool Street Exit, Kindertransport Memorial|
|Travel||Liverpool Street, Bank/Monument, Aldgate/Aldgate East, Tower Hill and London Bridge tube stations are just a short walk away from Leadenhall Market, as are Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and London Bridge mainline stations. All are in Zone 1|
The critically acclaimed Sculpture in the City is an annual exhibition showcasing contemporary works by internationally renowned artists in the confines of the City of London, on streets, in squares or on buildings. The exhibition usually opens around end June, and most sculptures are displayed until the following May.
2017 sees the seventh incarnation of this popular attraction, displaying 18 artworks by 16 artists ranging considerably in scale – from a near seven-metre high bronze sculpture, to dozens of plastic bags in a tree – thoughtfully placed between iconic architectural landmarks such as the Gherkin (30 St. Mary Axe), the Walkie-Talkie (20 Fenchurch Street), the Lloyd’s-Building (aka the Inside-Out Building, at 12 Leadenhall Street) and the Cheese Grater (the Leadenhall Building). Wander the City's public spaces and stumble upon world-class public art, on an urban canvas recognised across the globe.
For more information on the exhibition click here.
For a recommended route, as shown on the map on the ‘OS map’-tab above and on the gpx file, please follow below directions.
Leadenhall Market features a total of 21 pubs, delis, bars, brasseries and restaurants. For more details click here.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- [Numbers in brackets] indicate the sites of the artworks, with the numbers matching those on the website linked above and in the printed booklet.
- Meet outside Liverpool Street Mainline Station, at street level in Liverpool Street by the Kindertransport Memorial.
- With the station in your back, turn left along Liverpool Street. In 100m turn right at a T-junction with Bishopsgate.
- In 50m at the far corner of St. Botolph-without-Bishopsgate church turn right along a paved path into its former churchyard to an overview panel of the Sculture in the City route and artwork  to the left on a grassy area.
- Turn back towards Bishopsgate and turn right along the road’s pavement. In 50m cross London Wall at a set of lights and on the opposite corner find .
- Continue in the same direction along Bishopsgate and in 60m pass  (up in a tree).
- Continue along Bishopsgate and in 55m cross the road at a set of lights to continue along the opposite pavement in the previous direction.
- In 35m turn left along a tarmac lane leading in 20m to Crosby Square, with St. Helen, Bishopsgate church beyond it. Cross the small square and walk to the right of the church towards  (up in a tree).
- Pass  in 25m and continue along the right hand side of the church (to the left of an underground car park approach) towards the ‘Gherkin’ building to in 50m reach St. Mary Axe.
- Turn left along St. Mary Axe and in 50m turn right along Bury Court, a tarmac lane to the right of a wine bar and to the left of another underground car park approach.
- In 50m pass  on the left in a small courtyard (effectively the back entrance to an office building). Continue in the previous direction along a narrow passage under the building ahead.
- In 15m walk down some steps and turn left along Bury Street at a T-junction.
- In 35m turn right along Bevis Marks (road) on the course of the ancient London Wall, to pass in 10m a wall-mounted panel about the London Wall, and then the entrance gate to Bevis Marks Synagogue.
- Ignore an alleyway turning right in 30m. But in another 20m turn right by Creechurch Place to pass .
- Continue in the same direction along Creechurch Lane, soon ignoring the left turning Sugar Bakers Court and Mitre Street.
- Turn right along Bury Street at a bend (the former site of the first Synagogue, 1657-1701, after the resettlement) and soon pass the interesting Holland House on your right.
- In 30m turn left along the pedestrianised Cunard Place.
- In 20m pass  and continue along the alleyway, veering left with it and leaving it through a covered passage to emerge in 40m on Leadenhall Street at a T-junction.
- Turn right along Leadenhall Street towards the ‘Cheesegrater’ and the Lloyd’s building.
- In 160m find  (a neon installation high up a support girder to the side of some escalators in the undercroft of the ‘Cheesegrater’ building).
- Cross Leadenhall Street to the Lloyd’s building (with  hanging off the building’s outer air-con ducts) and continue to the left of the building along Lime Street.
- In 40m pass , then  (again up on the outside of the building) and  (off a street lamp) to reach a junction with Fenchurch Avenue.
- Turn left along Fenchurch Avenue and in 130m turn right at a T-junction with Billiter Street.
- In 50m cross Fenchurch Street at some lights and continue a little to the left along an alleyway (London Street) towards Fenchurch Street station’s forecourt.
- You pass  in 20m and reach  in another 30m.
- Re-trace your steps to Fenchurch Street and turn left along its opposite pavement.
- In 100m turn right along Cullum Street and in 30m follow it around to the left. In 20m continue through bollards and along a paved lane to in another 30m reach , outside Bolton House.
- Continue to Lime Street (with the The Grapes pub opposite) and turn left along it.
- Continue for 130m down to Fenchurch Street, with  located on the opposite pavement, outside the 'Walkie-Talkie' building.
- Re-trace your steps up Lime Street and in 50m bear left through bollards along Lime Street Passage, a cobbled pedestrianised lane towards Leadenhall Market.
- In 50m you find  in a passage 15m on the right (a site-specific artwork made for the 2016 run). In another 25m reach the central crosspaths in Leadenhall Market.