|Start||Liverpool Street Mainline Station, Liverpool Street Exit, Kindertransport Memorial|
|Travel||Liverpool Street, Bank/Monument, Aldgate/Aldgate East, Tower Hill and London Bridge tube stations are just a short walk away from Leadenhall Market, as are Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and London Bridge mainline stations. All are in Zone 1|
The critically acclaimed Sculpture in the City is an annual exhibition showcasing contemporary works by internationally renowned artists in the confines of the City of London, on streets, in squares or on buildings. The exhibition usually opens around end June, and most sculptures are displayed until the following May.
2018 sees the eighth incarnation of this popular attraction, displaying 18 artworks by as many artists ranging considerably in scale – from large bronze sculptures, to soundworks – thoughtfully placed between iconic architectural landmarks such as the Gherkin (30 St. Mary Axe), the Walkie-Talkie (20 Fenchurch Street), the Lloyd’s-Building (aka the Inside-Out Building, at 12 Leadenhall Street) and the Cheese Grater (the Leadenhall Building). Wander the City's public spaces and stumble upon world-class public art, on an urban canvas recognised across the globe.
For more information on the exhibition click here.
For a recommended route, as shown on the map on the ‘OS map’-tab above and on the gpx file, please follow below directions.
Leadenhall Market features a total of 23 pubs, cafes, delis, bars, brasseries and restaurants. For more details click here.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone. OpenStreetMap (not OS) mapping is used in the PDF for licence reasons.
- [Numbers in brackets] indicate the sites of the artworks, with the numbers matching those on the website linked above and in the printed booklet.
- Meet outside Liverpool Street Mainline Station, at street level in Liverpool Street by the Kindertransport Memorial.
- With the station in your back, turn left along Liverpool Street. In 100m turn right at a T-junction with Bishopsgate.
- In 50m at the far corner of St. Botolph-without-Bishopsgate church turn right along a paved path into its former churchyard to an overview panel of the Sculture in the City route 40m away and artwork  to the left on a grassy area.
- Turn back towards Bishopsgate and turn right along the road’s pavement. In 50m cross London Wall at a set of lights and on the opposite corner find .
- Continue in the same direction along Bishopsgate and in 60m pass  (a soundwork, with the speakers hanging up in a tree).
- Continue along Bishopsgate and in 55m cross the road at a set of lights to continue along the opposite pavement in the previous direction.
- In 25m turn left along the pavement of a tarmac lane leading in 20m to Crosby Square, with St. Helen, Bishopsgate church beyond it. Cross the small square and walk to the right of the church towards , a little to the right in front of the Hiscox Building.
- You have  20m away to the left and  40m away to the half right in the direction of the 'Cheesegrater' Building. Look at  first, then proceed towards .
- Continue in the same direction to the left of  and then along the 'Cheesegrater'. In 60m you have  on the right in the undercroft of the ‘Cheesegrater’ (i.e. the Leadenhall Building).
- Continue in the same direction and cross Leadenhall Street at a set of lights to continue to the left of the Lloyd's Building along Lime Street, passing the 'Scalpel' Building to its right.
- In 60m reach . Now turn back the way you came along Lime Street, re-cross Leadenhall Street, but continue a little to the right of the landscaped forecourt of the AVIVA Building along St. Mary Axe (road).
- In 120m you pass the 'Gherkin' to its left and continue along St. Mary Axe and in 50m turn right along Bury Court, a paved lane to the right of a wine bar and to the left of an underground car park approach.
- In 60m pass  on the left in a small courtyard (effectively the back entrance to an office building). Continue in the previous direction along a narrow passage under the building ahead, passing  in the process.
- In 15m walk down some steps and turn right along Bury Street at a T-junction, soon with Holland House on the left.
- In 70m turn left with Bury Street.
- In 25m pass the pedestrianised Cunard Place, with  on your right. Continue along Bury Street, passing the interesting looking other end of Holland House on your left.
- In 30m turn left at a T-junction with Creechurch Lane (the former site of the first Synagogue, 1657-1701, after the resettlement, is on your right) and in 30m turn left into Heneage Lane, a very short cul-de-sac.
- In 10m turn right along an alleyway (still Heneage Lane), with  running along its length, and with the back of the Bevis Marks Synagogue on the left.
- At the end of the lane turn right at a T-junction with Bevis Marks (road), on the course of the ancient London Wall, and with the synagogue entrance away down the left.
- In 20m turn right along Creechurch Lane and in 30m turn left to in 25m go under the 'One Creechurch Place' building.
- In another 25m - in a courtyard with an Illy Caffe on the left - you have  10m away on the right and turn right past it towards a road.
- In 25m turn left along Mitre Street and in 40m turn hard right at a four-way junction with Aldgate/Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street, and turn immediately right again along Leadenhall Street.
- In 50m, opposite No. 65 Leadenhall Street, turn left to cross the road and continue through the covered Hartshorn Alley, where  (a soundwork) in on display. [The passage may be locked shut in the evening to prevent its use as a shelter by the homeless. In that case turn back to the four-way junction and turn right along Fenchurch Street.]
- In 50m emerge on Fenchurch Street and turn right along it. In 100m - just after passing the East India Arms, an historic pub - turn left along Fenchurch Place towards Fenchurch Street station’s forecourt.
- In 40m turn right towards  and from it turn right again to continue along an alleyway (London Street) and re-gain Fenchurch Street.
- Cross the road at a set of lights and turn left along its opposite pavement.
- In 150m turn right along Cullum Street and in 30m follow it around to the left. In 20m continue through bollards and along a paved lane to in another 30m reach , outside Bolton House.
- Continue to Lime Street (with the The Bunch of Grapes pub opposite) and continue in the same direction to the right of the pub along Beehive Passage into Leadenhall Market.
- In 30m bear left at a three-way junction and in 25m turn right along a narrow passage, with  suspended above your heads.
- In 25m turn left and in another 20m reach the central crosspaths in Leadenhall Market, with  on the left high up in the roof structure (a neon work).