|OS Map||Explorer Maps 162,147, 161. The walk is in the corner of all three maps.|
|Toughness||1 out of 10|
|Features||This short walk crosses three commons which have been used for hundreds of years as a source of wood as evidenced by the many coppiced trees. Today coppicing is still practised but the mix of woodlands also provides habitats for a variety of animals. The walk follows in part the River Ravensbourne which fills the three Keston ponds and flows into the Thames at Deptford. Charles Darwin carried out parts of his research on Keston Common. On the way you get a glimpse of Ravensbourne Lodge previously owned by the Bonham-Carter family. The most ancient remains encountered on this walk are from the iron age. The walk was inspired by the marked Three Commons Circular Walk and broadly but not exactly follows it.
The walk crosses several roads some of them quite busy. Cross them with care !
|Travel||Take the train nearest to 10:00 from London Charing Cross to Hayes (Kent). Hayes (Kent) is in Zone 5 and Oyster Cards can be used.|
|Lunch||All lunch options are very popular, hence you should book if there are more than 4 people.|
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out: (not a train station)
Back: (not a train station)
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Cross the road in front of the station and walk up Station Hill. In 100m turn right following Station Hill.
- In 140m cross a road into Hayes common and make for the far left corner of the open space near a bench. There follow a path into the woods marked Three Commons Circular Walk (3CCW).
- In 60m cross Preston Road.
- In 180m go straight across a 4 way junction.
- In 210m veer left with the path where another path joins from the right.
- In 90m at a 4-way junction turn left following the 3CCW sign keeping the residential area on your left.
- In 90m follow the path as it veers left towards a road with a path joining from the right.
- In 60m cross West Common Road and continue in the same direction.
- In 220m at a 4-way junction turn right following the 3CCW sign.
- In 50m at a 3CCW signpost leave the marked path and turn right into an area covered with holly.
- In 140m at what looks like a fork veer right with the path.
- In 110m follow the path as it veers left ignoring a path on the right.
- [!] In 50m at an indistinct 4-way junction marked by the last pair of birch trees on your left with a gall about 2m from the ground on one of them turn left. If you reached a car wide track you have gone too far. Turn back about 40m.
- Follow this path as it winds its way through the woods veering left until in 300m turn right onto the 3CCW.
- In 20m cross a footpath.
- In 50m cross Baston Road.
- In 370m cross Croydon Road.
- In 160m enter an open space and in 30m turn left at the signpost adjacent to two bushes
- At the end of the open area with gorse bushes cross a path and veer left and then right with the path.
- In 30m at a 5-way junction take the second path on the left following the 3CCW sign.
- In 150m cross the road called Commonside and enter Padmall Wood through a kissing gate.
- In 60m take the left fork.
- You walk over several boards made from sweet chestnut wood crossing several streams before you fork right in 350m.
- After crossing the next stream which is the Ravensbourne River turn left.
- In 40m turn left again recrossing the stream and then turn right at a gnarly oak tree following the Ravensbourne upstream.
- In 70m veer left ignoring the first bridge across the stream but in 20m turn right across the stream at the second bridge.
- You pass Ravensbourne Lodge on your left and in 250m turn left uphill towards the first of the three Keston Ponds where you turn right along the pond.
- At the next corner of the pond turn left and in 60m walk up a flight of wooden steps towards Fishponds Road which you cross.
- Follow the right hand edge of the second pond and walk up the steps straight ahead.
- At the third pond turn left and walk around its left hand edge.
- At the far end turn right and cross Ceasar's Well the source of the Ravensbourne River. Walk up the steps and after the first 7 steps turn right. Continue keeping the wooden fence on your right away from the car park.
- 30m after the end of the wooden fence turn left into an open space skirting its left hand edge.
- At its far corner pass a coppiced birch and two pine trees (the first one just a hollow trunk with some branches) and pick up a well defined path beyond the trees between gorse bushes.
- In 160m at a tree trunk in the path used as a signpost turn left entering Keston Common. On the left hand side are the remains of an iron age mound and ditch and on the right an open space of heather and bracken.
- In 90m turn right and in 50m cross a 4-way junction.
- In 60m turn right at an oak tree and a bench.
- In 60m at a 4-way junction turn left.
- In 50m at a T-junction turn right.
- In 100m take the right fork following the 3CCW.
- In 160m cross a 4 way junction
- In 40m take the left branch of the fork
- In 80m turn left and in 20m ignore a foothpath towards the left.
- In 60m with a view of the second Keston pond ahead turn left and cross Fishpond Road
- In 200m at a T junction turn left. Keep on this path and join a road in 250m.
- In 140m turn right into Keston Gardens.
- In 100m opposite the house with number 24 turn left into an alleyway between gardens which leads to the Fox Inn on your left and the Greyhound and Herbert's on your right.
- After lunch walk across the green with the water fountain towards a wooden barrier and a bench at its far end. (From here onwards you follow the well marked 3CCW to West Common Road).
- 50m after entering the woods at a 4-way junction turn left following the 3CCW.
- Keep the wooden fence on your left and cross Baston Road in 100m.
- Continue following the 3CCW as it turns right in 10m and left in 250m.
- In 140m, 20m before the path runs directly parallel to West Common Road turn left and cross the road and at the 4-way junction 10m further on cross a footpath and go slightly left.
- In 50m cross Baston Manor Road.
- In 50m turn right onto the London Loop Walk.
- In 550m cross a road and pass Treetops house between wooden fences. On the way you passed into West Wickham Common which is managed by the City of London Corporation.
- In 300m there is another iron age ditch on the right and a little further on on the left a view across the outskirts of West Wickham towards New Addington.
- In 180m at a signpost for the London Loop leave the London Loop and turn right.
- In 220m at a T-junction turn left.
- In 50m carefully cross Croydon Road onto a small grassy area opposite and from there cross Preston Road on your left. The path opposite will lead back towards Hayes station.