Lulworth Cove, nearby Durdle Door (a cliff arch) and the dramatic white cliffs' coastal scenery are stunningly beautiful, and very popular and busy on sunny summer weekends.
Wool Station is 7 kilometres north of Lulworth Cove on the Waterloo to Weymouth Main Line. Trains are hourly. Journey time 149 mins Mondays-Saturdays, 154 mins on Sundays.
Wool Station to Lulworth Cove: bus or taxi
Updated : July 2019. Check online, recently these bus services have changed every year! Check Traveline South West.
- 30: Swanage - Corfe Castle - Wareham station - Wool station - Lulworth Cove - Osmington - Weymouth King's Statue. 25 May - 02 June & 24 June - 21 September: Daily. 03 - 23 June: Weekends Only. Hourly. First bus from Wool station to Lulworth Cove: 10.13 Mon-Fri, 10.16 Sat-Sun. Last bus from Lulworth Cove to Wool station 18.14.
- X54: Weymouth King's Statue - Osmington - Durdle Door - Lulworth Cove - Wool Station - Wareham Station - Poole. Daily April to September, weekdays only in winter. From Wool station to Lulworth Cove at 10.39, 13.19 etc. From Lulworth Cove to Wool station at 10.43, 13.13, 17.23. Last bus from Lulworth Cove is the 19.45 in the opposite direction to Weymouth.
- 55: Weymouth King's Statue - Osmington - Durdle Door - Lulworth Cove - Wool Station - Bovington Camp. Weekends 19 April to 15 September plus daily during Dorset School Holidays (24 July - 30 August). From Wool station to Lulworth Cove at 12.15, 13.15, 15.15 etc. Mon-Sat & Bank Hols and 12.42, 13.42, 15.42, 17.05 Sun. From Lulworth Cove to Wool station at 11.40, ..., 15.40, 16.40 Mon-Sat & Bank Hols and 11.40, 13.04, 14.07, 16.07 Sun.
- Fares are about £2 from Wool station. Note that returns bought on the Damory Purbeck Breezer 30 are not valid on the First Wessex X54 and 55, and vice versa!
- Taxis: Lulworth – 01929 400864, 07949 522 533, 01929 444 546, 01929 400 409; Wool – 01929 463 395, 01929 558 119, 01929 500 604, 07751 769 833. [Aug-19] Expect fares of about £15 (and £22 for an 8-seater).
Wool has two pubs close to the station to await your train, and a local store that keeps long hours.
About 3 hours drive from London.
- On the ridge above Tyneham is Povington Hill Car Park (free, no postcode), not far from East Lulworth. You can park in Tyneham itself (£2 suggested).
- There are large, expensive car parks at Lulworth Cove (BH20 5RQ), and by Durdle Dor campsite, or you can park for free about 1 km inland in West Lulworth village (BH20 5SG).
West Lulworth has a YHA youth hostel, a HF hotel, a campsite (mostly caravans, but they take tents), and B&Bs and Hotels.
|Lulworth Ranges Danger Area
This is an army live firing range around Tyneham, just to the east of Lulworth Cove.
It is only open at certain times. Access is allowed along marked Range Walks. They are shown on OS maps.
Lulworth Range Walks
The Range Walks are open
- most weekends (they are closed about 6 weekends a year)
- every day during Dorset school holidays.
Latest updates : MOD : Lulworth Access Times
The Lulworth Range walks and Tyneham Villages are open to the public every weekend with the exception of the following:
1. 22nd/23rd February 2020
2. 14th/15th March 2020
3. 13th/14th June 2020
4. 19th/20th September 2020
5. 03rd/04th October 2020
6. 14th/15th November 2020
In addition to the weekends they are open every day during the following times; all dates are inclusive:
Christmas 21st December 2019 – 05th January 2020
Easter 04th – 19th April 2020
May Day 08th May 2020 (a Friday!)
May Stand-down 25th May – 31st May 2020
Summer Stand-down 21st July – 31st August 2020
Christmas 19th December 2020 – 03rd January 2021
On completion of firing the gates to the walks are opened as near as possible to 16.30 on the Friday afternoon.
Please note that this is dependent on completion of range clearance and weather.
The gates will then remain open until 8.00 on the Monday morning.