Covid-19 for walkers 25-Sep
Create A New Walk for this Website
Anyone may create a new walk for this website (i.e. you don't have to walk with the walking club).
If you do walk with the club, have a word someone who's already done one, e.g. David, Sean, Thomas, Marcus or Peter.
What kind of walks?
- Have a look at the walk locations map for inspiration.
- Walks map be short walks, day walks, or even longer
- Walks may be traditional country / mountain walks, or may be urban / city walks, or visit attractions (e.g. Bath, city parks, National Trust properties)
- Walks may have a theme (e.g. history, archaeology).
- Walks maybe outside the south east, a holiday walk, Devon, Cornwall, ...
- You can do a series of walks, e.g. the Wales Coast Path in 50 day walks :)
- New walks should (i.e. not must) be public transport friendly. NB public transport includes buses as well as trains.
- New walks may be either :
- a map walk (give an overview of the route, and an OS map is required to do the walk), or,
- a walk with detailed walking directions (an OS map is optional)
- Ideally, walks with detailed walking directions
- should be walk checked by someone other than yourself
- if you are a club walker, speak to one of the walk posters to schedule a club walk check
- Its a good idea to re-check the walk in different seasons to which it was developed (e.g. write in summer, re-check in winter)
- A GPS route of the new walk is helpful. KML or GPX. Don't worry if you can't do this.
- Walks may be submitted in any of:
- HTML. This is what the webmaster prefers, but few people choose it as it is techie.
- MS Word. This is the most popular - just email it in. File | Save As | HTML (filtered) helps.
- Plain text. Just send us an email!
- PDF. But we need a plain text copy of the walk_details section.
- Markdown - the webmaster will also like it :)
- You may retain ownership of the walk if you do not wish to donate it to the walking club, however, you must
- maintain the walk as time goes by,
- or, allow us to do so if you do not.
HTML Walk Template
If you decide to submit the walk in HTML format, here's how to do it
There are 2 HTML templates, walk_details.html (for the tabular text at the top of the page) and walk_instructions.html (for the list of walking instructions).
Even if you submit a walk as a Word document, please try filling in the walk_details one.
- Download the templates - If they display as HTML (not as plain text), use View | Source or Right hand click | Save as in your web browser to get them.
- Please fill in the gaps!
- To test what you have done: File | Save as | walk_details.html or walk_instructions.html on your PC, and then use File | Open in your web browser to view it
- To see one of our existing walk's files: replace index.shtml with walk_details.html or walk_instructions.html in the walk's web address e.g.
- Edit these 2 files in an editor, e.g. notepad++ (for Windows) - DO NOT not use MS Word. If you can see "utf8", select it.
- walk_details - The table rows are all optional, feel free to add new ones
- Please do not include any HTML style or font tags - we use a 'CSS' style sheet
- The HTML "tags" to use are: i (italic), b (bold), ol ul li (lists), p (paragraph), a href (link), table tr th th (tables)