10 km (6 miles), 2.5 hours. For the whole outing, including trains, sights and meals, allow 5 hours.
Explorer Map 161.
2 out of 10. A short walk with good autumn colours in season and plenty of wooded cover on a wet day.
This walk is not in the country, but it offers a real chance to get away from it all without leaving Greater London. It starts in Wimbledon and features a loop around Wimbledon Common with lunch at its Wimdmill Cafe.
|Extending the walk||
Wimbledon is worth exploring, as are Cannizaro Park and Wimbledon Park. This walk can be combined with Richmond Circular and is recommended as an extension to that walk.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club is close to the route.
|Saturday Walkers Club||
Wimbledon Station is on the Underground and Main Line.
Lunch is available just over half way round the walk at the Windmill Cafe. There are many pubs and restuarants in Wimbledon itself.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- From Wimbledon Station, turn right, and you are soon ascending Wimbledon Hill towards Wimbledon Common.
- After 600m, go straight over the first roundabout.
- In 200m, turn half left at the second roundabout.
- In 600m, cross over to a traffic island and pass just to the left of its War Memorial.
- Cross the road and take the bridleway half right, but forking to the left of a bench, your direction 280 degrees.
- In 100m or so, cross another road and follow a path to the left of a bridleway.
- In 750m, after a clearing on your left, cross a major path to continue on the bridleway itself, ignoring a fork to the left towards a building and further forks to the right. (If the bridleway proves to be very muddy, there are paths to its right and you will be able to re-join the main route at the fairway ahead.)
- In 120m, cross a fairway.
- In 200m, a path merges from the left.
- In 100m, cross a fairway and fork left, with the other fork and a golf green to your right.
- In 50m, cross a path and, after a short distance, enter woods.
- Ignore all ways off and, in 600m, pass an equestrian facility on your right.
- In 200m, reach a junction in front of a brick bridge and turn right onto a path beside a river.
- In 500m, reach a junction with a sports field ahead and turn right on the path with the field visible to your left.
- Or, to join Richmond Circular, continue for 300m and turn left over a brick bridge beside changing rooms. After crossing an open space for 140m, cross the road to reach Robin Hood Gate.
- In 30m, fork left to follow a Capital Ring sign and, in 50m, at a T-junction, turn left to continue with the sports field on your left.
- In 300m, cross a path junction to bear slightly left, uphill.
- In 200m or so, there is a large graveyard on your left. As you reach the end of this, at a junction, take the middle path uphill. (Queen's Mere, a small lake and a pleasant picnic spot, can be reached by taking paths to the right from this stretch of the walk - look for the open space through the trees.)
- In 200m, at a junction, ignore ways off.
- In 400m, reach a junction with a large mound ahead and turn right.
- In 100m, at a junction by a War Memorial, go straight ahead and sharply uphill.
- At the top, go straight ahead to reach another summit in 100m. Then descend, bearing slightly left.
- In 300m, at the path junction, turn right.
- In 300m, pass beside a barrier to reach a road and cross it. (Turn right on this road to reach the windmill, cafe and public toilets. Re-trace your steps to this point and turn right to continue.)
- Pass a further barrier. 200m after this, turn left on a path with a large open space on your left.
- Follow this path for 1km until you reach Cannizaro Road.
- To visit Cannizaro Park, turn right on Cannizaro Road and turn right when you reach the T Junction at its end. The park entrance is just after Cannizaro House Hotel.
- Cross Cannizaro Road and follow a path beside the main road. When you see the War Memorial, leave the path to follow this road as it bends left and re-trace your steps to Wimbledon Station.
- Another option, which involves a section of road walking, is to turn left on Church Road at the first roundabout and follow it, bearing left at a second roundabout, to reach the All England Lawn Tennis Club and Museum. From here, walk on to Southfields station. Some way further on, you may turn right to visit Wimbledon Park on your right and finish the walk at Wimbledon Park Underground station.