|Length||16.5 miles / 26.5 km|
|Toughness||7 out of 10|
|Maps||OS Explorer OL25 Eastbourne and Beachy Head|
This walk along the South Downs Way (SDW) consists of 2 spectacular ridge walks with a picturesque village in the middle for lunch and Eastbourne promenade, beach and pier to finish. Its a long (so summer only) but very rewarding walk. The route is well waymarked, the paths are easy walking, and the route is easy to follow. The South Downs are treeless and open, so there are good views throughout.
The walk starts in Southease, right on the SDW, and climbs the first ridge straight away, up to Firle Beacon. There is an alternate start in Glynde in case the trains to Southease don't line up.
At the end of ridge is Alfriston, a pretty village in a pretty valley with a village green dominated by a large church. 2 good pubs and a village shop to choose from for lunch.
After lunch, follow the northern leg of the SDW up and over Wilmington Hill to Jevington (pub) before a final climb to head south along another ridge towards the coast.
Rather than follow the offical SDW route downhill, continue on to the coast, then follow the 'other' leg of the SDW down in to Eastbourne. Follow the prom for a swim in the sea and chips by the pier.
|South Downs Way||
This walk is one of 9 stages of the South Downs Way - a 109 mile national long distance path - that traverses the South Downs National Park in South East England.
After the walk, we would love to get your feedback
Out: (not a train station)
Back: (not a train station)
|Map Walk||This walk requires an OS map and a compass or GPS for navigation. You can print out OS maps using the link above.|
National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234
|Copyright||© Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only. www.walkingclub.org.uk/site/license.shtml|
The directions for this walk are also in a PDF (link above) which you can download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.
- Start at Southease Station
- SDW: Head east - cross the road (using the new bridge), and climb the hill.
- SDW: Follow the ridge past the readio mast to Firle Beacon.
- Start at Glynde Station
- Head south along the small road, cross the A27, and continue up the car wide track.
- SDW: At the ridge, head east along the SDW towards Firle Beacon
- SDW: Follow the ridge, eventually descending in to Alfriston.
- SDW: After lunch, cross the river, and takle the northerly SDW route towards Windover Hill
- Option: Detour north, over the brow of the hill to the trig point of Wilmington Hill, and WIlmington Long Man (a chalk figure)
- SDW: Follow the SDW to Jevington (pub)
- SDW: Head a few metres south along the lane, and clim back up to the final ridge
- SDW: Continue along the SDW along the ridge
- Where the SDW veers off downhill, continue south along the ridge, crossing a minor road. Ypou can see the Beachy Head pub.
- SDW: Meet up with the southerly branch of the SDW, and head east, straight downhill towards Easbourne seafront.
- Follow thw seafront to the pier
- Head back on yourself towards the pedestrianised shopping area and the train station